Friday, April 21, 2006

hot weather, batik, and Singapore!

The past week in Kuantan has been great, I've been making good use of the gym at the Hyatt (after my one step class, I opted to work out in air con!) and also the pool!

pool at the hyatt

Today we leave for Malacca, originally a Portugese settlement south of Kuala Lumpur on the west coast of Malaysia. Apparently it's well known for making furniture so mum and dad want to check that out. Saturday we head further south to Singapore so I can write the MCAT on Sunday! Afterwards we're going to the famous Raffles Hotel for dinner and maybe a Singapore sling?! Monday's agenda includes sight-seeing and shopping in Singapore and then Tuesday we drive home to Kuantan.

On Wednesday mum and I went to see Jam, the local batik lady to see how batik is made. She even let me make my own handpainted piece! It's a pretty cool art, you either draw or stamp hot wax onto the fabric and then paint or dye different colours onto the fabric. After the dye is set, it's put into boiling water to remove the wax. Check out the wood fire and the cauldron below!

my masterpiece!


batik artist...all freehand drawing!

outside of the batik shop...very typically Malay!

Last night we had an early Birthday celebration at the Italian Bistro overlooking the ocean at the Hyatt...the food was great but the mosquitos started attacking about halfway through dinner and by the time I finished eating I think I had about 15 welts on my legs! So...we came home for cake! I opened my birthday presents last night too---new scuba gear for diving next week! I can't wait!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice batik!
Good thing they have cakes in Kuantan--not at Tanjong Jara!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the scary person on the wall?

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes yes, batik is nice :) hehehe..

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home