Monday, March 13, 2006

weekend in Christchurch, take 2

Well, I did just have a nice post written and as I pressed the "submit" button....bam! It was all gone. Let's try this again...

This past weekend was pretty laid back for me, I stayed here in Christchurch and at least attempted to get some work done. Friday night I went to see the movie "Firewall" which was actually better than I expected. It was a mindless 2 hours but overall a decent movie.

Saturday was fun- I went downtown with some friends to check out some outdoors/outfitter stores. The general opinion was that no matter where in the world you're from (Europe, Africa, or North America) hiking and camping gear is more expensive in New Zealand. Considering this country is well known for it's adventure sports and has so much to offer, it doesn't really make sense to me. But, I guess it I had to import my goods from the otherside of the world I would jack up the prices too. Oh well.

Also on Saturday we checked out the market on Cathedral Square. There was a festival going on with people dressed in period costumes, children playing with antique toys, and dancing. It wasn't until I went to church on Sunday morning that I realized it was in celebration of the past 150 years that Christ Cathedral and the Anglican Church has been part of Christchurch. Pretty cool.

Classes continue to go well. I'm beginning to learn that there's a good chance at least one of my classes will have a different lecturer on any given day. Today the new guy was a Brit yelling at us about the digestive system in physiology (he clearly didn't learn about indoor voices in kindergarten). The crazy Russian is still lecturing in I/O Psychology and the old boring Kiwi is back again in Biochemistry. Never a dull moment.

I hope all is well on your side of the world where it should be warming up for spring. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that April means autumn and July means winter here. What happens to "April showers brings May flowers"?

have a great week.

cheers-

s.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Stephie, somebody reads your blog!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home