Sunday, July 02, 2006

skiing...in june!

It's been quite a busy week...I had two exams on Monday and Tuesday, moved to my new house (pictures coming!) and volunteered at the hospital on Wednesady, went skiing at Mt Hutt on Thursday, and said goodbye to one of my flatmates on Friday (going home to the US).

My new house, and family (the Sopers) are wonderful! I have my own room with a huge bed and tv, own bathroom complete with a heater towel rack and heat lamp...a necessity for cold New Zealand mornings! My new family consists of a mum and dad (Noeline and Nigel), two brothers (Hayden age 10 and Jamie age 3) and a random assortment of dogs, cats, and sheep! The house is on 16 acres on the outskirts of Christchurch, about a 10min drive to campus. The family is in Picton this weekend at their bach (lake house) because it's the beginning of school holidays.






On Thursday Katie and I went skiing at Mt Hutt! It's one of the biggest and closest hills to Christchurch, about a 90min drive. So far this season they have had more snow (130cm base) than they had all of last year! It's quite different skiing here, everything is above the treeline so there is no need to cut out runs between the trees! That also means that there are no trail maps at the top of the lifts...you kinda just get off and go! I found the snow here to be quite wet and sticky, not exactly the powder that North America is spoiled with! The views are incredible though and it was overall a great day! Katie leaves tomorrow for home and although she is so excited about getting home (even in time for July 4th) I'm going to miss her being next door to me next semester!

This week I'm heading south of here about 5 hours to Queenstown, apparently the "adventure capital of the world!" with my friend Kathryn to go skiing at The Remarkables and Coronet Peak. Her sister just moved there to work so we even have a free place to stay!

In the meantime, I'm trying to stay warm (I think maybe Kiwis can learn a thing or two from Canadians about how to stay warm in the winter!) by hanging out in the living room by the fire. I was very proud of myself for being able to light the fire today!

cheers-

s.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh Steph. You're skiing in New Zealand and we're swimming in Canada! Where would you rather be? Steve

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home