Friday, February 17, 2006

orientation and enrolment

As of today I am officially enrolled as a University of Canterbury student- and it only took about 8 hours of standing in queues and running around campus trying to get courses approved! (I can no longer complain about Auburn’s system; waiting an hour for the computer to register is nothing!!) I did manage to get the courses that I needed, so as long as nothing gets changed everything should work out!

I’m living in Ilam Village, an on campus apartment (or flat as they call them here) with 5 other people; 2 Kiwis, 2 Americans and a Malaysian! Everyone seems to get along well so far, we are going to cook together once a week and then fend for ourselves the rest of the time. Our flat is spacious but reminds me of a nice concrete cell…the one advantage is that you can’t hear anyone through the thick concrete walls! My room is comfortable- I have a huge built-in desk and wardrobe, a single bed and a huge window! I’m going to have to do something about the boring walls through…if anyone wants to send me posters that’d be great!!

Classes start on Monday so until then I’m pretty much free to explore and hang out. I’ve met some great people so far- I think tomorrow a group of us are going to the beach! I don’t think the water is very warm (about 14C or 50sF) but a guy from Sweden has been and says it’s not that bad. I’m not sure I believe him though- he probably swims in freezing water in Sweden!

Email me if you want my address or phone number…letters and phone calls are definitely welcome!


Cheers!

s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home